Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Day Around The Sea

The songwriter said it best, “Since I’ve walked where Jesus walked, I’ll never be the same again.” We started our day from our hotel which is located on a kibbutz which is a communal farm. The food is the best we have had on the trip. The Grounds are beautiful. We are on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. The Sea of Galilee is actually a wide spot in the Jordan River. Jesus was very active around this body of water.




We loaded the bus after breakfast and headed off to Capernaum. First we stopped at a site our guide, Yoni, believes to be the western end of the ancient city. He also showed us the spot that is most likely the location of the Sermon on the Mount. This site is where Jesus healed the woman with the issue of blood, where Peter told Jesus three times that he loved him, and where Jesus sent the disciples out to cast their nets on the other side of the boat. We had a great time reflecting on these passages. We hopped on the bus and headed north toward the mouth of the Jordan. We traveled just west of the Golan Heights and came to where Lebanon was in view just a few miles to the north. As we traveled we saw fields littered with landmines that are left from the past conflicts with Syria and Lebanon.





We arrived at the mountain cave where the springs form the head waters of the Jordan. This is also the Biblical city of Caesarea Philippi. Yoni gave us a wonderful lesson from the passage where Jesus ask Peter “Who do you say I Am”. We also saw the likely site of the transfiguration.




On our way to lunch we stopped at the place where Jesus cast out the demons and made them go into the pigs. We went to lunch at a fish restaurant on the shore of the Galilee. It was a neat experience even if the heads were on the fish and the birds were in the restaurant with us.




After lunch we went to the baptismal site and had a wonder baptismal service. The water of the Jordan was soooooooooo coldddddddddd. Several decided not to get in. Those who wanted to be baptized rented smocks and towels and changed for the great experience. The water seemed to get warmer after I went numb. We changed into our dry clothes and headed back to the Sea.




We had a boat waiting there for us. We got on the boat and went for a breathtaking ride on the Sea of Galilee at Sunset. When we got out into the sea a little ways we stopped and Yoni gave us a wonderful lesson on the scriptures about the events on this very body of water. “Peace be still” took on a new meaning. We were looking at the mountain where Jesus would have seen His disciples struggling in the storm.






After we watched the sun go behind the mountains we got off and went to a museum that is located on our Kibbutz. Inside the museum we saw an ancient boat that had been excavated from the shore near here. It dated back to Jesus’ time or before. We headed to our rooms for a short time then joined everyone for dinner in the dining room. We had hamburgers and oven fried chicken—it was all very delicious. After dinner we had a session with Yoni where he shared with us several interesting insights from Hebrew scripture.

"MOORE" PICS



We are now getting ready to go to bed to prepare for another full day tomorrow. We will be at our final destination tomorrow afternoon at our hotel at the Mediterranean Sea. We will try to do one final post from Israel tomorrow night, however I am not promising. We will be very busy getting ready to be at the airport by 2:30 a.m.. We will be in Atlanta by 4:30 p.m. eastern time and hope to be home by 10 or 11 p.m. Keep us in your prayers for safety as we travel.
We love you all,
Pastor Tom & Rese and the Israel 24

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY BRO. TOMMY, SIS. RESE AND THE ISREALY 24, I AM SO GLAD WE WERE ABLE TO ENJOY THE TRIP WITH YOU ALL VIA BLOGGING. IT HAS BEEN SO GREAT TO BE ABLE TO SEE SOME OF THE SIGHTS YOU ALL SAW. I IMAGINE IT WAS GREAT TO BE BAPTIZED IN THE JORDAN RIVER. THANK YOU FOR SHOWING US A TRIP OF A LIFETIME. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO IN PERSON. WE ARE PRAYING THAT YOU HAVE A SAFE TRIP HOME. LOVE CHUCK, SUKI AND KATY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! All of the pictures of the scenery are beautiful! The food...not so pleasing to the eye! I saw the picture of Mr. Larry and Mr. Tim with their interesting pieces of fish. I think Israel is now my dream vacation. I'm so glad to hear and see that y'all have enjoyed your trip. It looks like y'all truly got your monies worth! I know y'all are now looking forward to coming home and we're ready for y'all to.
    Kim and Tim, Mom and Steve really need to see y'all b/c it's been almost 2 weeks since they've played cards! We miss y'all too! :) Kinsley is almost here!! Yay!!
    Mr. Larry and Mrs. Nancy, I hope you don't mind, but we dropped a few pets off at your house and they are sooo ready for their new owners to arrive. haha We miss y'all and can't wait to see y'all!
    Love and prayers,
    Patrick and Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,
    Creating this site to share the 24's experience has been a wonderful thing. Thanks for the dedication you've had to write the posts...upload the photos...while your trip is busy enough already. I look forward to hearing about it all when you return.
    Love,
    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I couldn't wait to get home to check out the new pix. Jimmy Parker's mother died, so we had to go to the viewing tonight (Wed.) in Dothan. It is late, but worth taking the time to look you all over. I know that you are all soooo tired, but we appreciate you taking time to share with us. We love you all. Hope you get to make that one last update before coming home.
    Love ya!!
    Liddie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sincere Greetings to you in the sweet name of Jesus Christ.

    I am very happy to see you in my prayer however we do not know to each other and living in a far away countries.

    Sir my name is George Velpula and living at Andhra Pradesh in India. Would you please allow me to share some more words with you?

    Once upon a time, I was a Cruel, Thief and misused the Christians and Chain smoker and great sinner but I came to the saving knowledge of God by his grace!

    One day a Christian friend forced me to attend a small Christian meeting but I attended unwillingly. There I heard a great message from the Bible (Mark 7:20-23and 2nd. Corin.5:17). I so trembled there by hearing the message and felt that God spoke to me. Then I so became interested to know more about God so I bought a small New Testament and read a many times carefully and realized that I was a great sinner and need to be saved. I found the saviour in the words and confessed all my sins and accepted Jesus Christ into my life then I was baptized by immersion according to the Bible ( Acts 2:38, 41, 8:38-39 and Mark 16:16). And I got great joy which I never had been.

    Now God gave me a noble job of preaching the word of God, and winning souls for his kingdom. I am preaching and teaching the word of God to theTribals , Muslims , Hindus and Other back-word communities in the Un-reached areas which do not have Electricity and proper roads. I have no any Travel facilities and I walk several miles every day to preach the word of God.

    It is my humble request to you if possible, please do help me to have a small two wheeler (a bicycle or small two wheeler to reach and preach the Good News in more villages every week. it is a only request not command. if you are able kindly do so(Gal.6:9).Have mercy on us you may send your gift by Register post in God's love.

    And we are going to bed without food many a times. We trust in God that he will provide for us. Please pray for my poor family and Ministry.

    Looking forward to hear from you if possible soon,

    Yours sincerely in his wondrous Mission,

    George.Velpula

    Evangelist.

    My Field address : George.Velpula , Evangelist, C\O. Nettam. Lakshmi, Gowrawaram- Post, Jaggayya Peta- Mandalam , Krishna District,A.P.521175,India.

    AND

    My Home Address : George.velpula, Evangelist, Nandigama, Krishna District, A.P. 521185,INDIA.

    E mail :gvelpula@gmail.com,Web : godwillprovide4Us.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been such a joy reading your blog everyday for almost two weeks. Has it been that long? I'm going to miss checking for these updates. It's routine now. Can you stay a little longer? Although, I am sure you are all ready to return home to be with family and friends and to sleep in your own beds. By the way, the pictures of sunset on the Sea of Galilee are breath-taking to me. I would have loved to been there to hear Yoni talk about when the disciples were stuggling in the storm. What an awesome experience being there and even all the other places you all have been. Again, thank you for all the blogging and pictures. It was almost as if we were there too. I cold even sense the presence of God as I would read each day. I would just stop reading because His presence was so real to me. Thank you again for sharing. We love you all much and are praying for a safe return.

    God's Blessings,

    Karen
    (Nancy and Larry's niece)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BRO. TOMMY TELL SIS. VALERIA WE ARE PRAYING FOR TODAY SHE WAS ON MY HEART THIS MORNING. I LOVE YOU ALL AND I AM PRAYING FOR EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FOR A SAFE TRIP HOME. LOVE YA SUKI

    ReplyDelete